Monday, August 20, 2012

Better Star Trails


Once again it’s been a long time since I wrote anything regarding photography.
But this time I am having some better pics of star trails taken with my new Canon 550D.
I had specially gone to Raigad fort, the capital of Maratha kingdom to get a clear sky. I chose 19th May 2012 to go to Raigad. Checked the moon rise and moon set timings on http://timeanddate.com and then decided to go. The situation was such that the moon was setting on 19th evening and was going to rise on the 20th morning, so I was going to get a starry sky. The site also helped me in checking the weather conditions on the given day which were clear. So completely equipped with my camera and tripod I went to Raigad. For the whole day of 19th I looked around the fort, took some snaps. My guide provided me lunch. He also allowed me to take an afternoon nap in his house. I also had dinner at his place. My plan was to stay awake full night near the statue of Shivaji maharaj and get some nice star trail photos.
I was ill prepared in two departments. Since it was the month of May I thought I would not need any blanket. But I was totally wrong, it was chilling cold. The second misjudgement was regarding the camera battery. I should have carried an extra battery which I did not and I missed at least 2 photos of star trails of my liking. Nevertheless I am happy with the photos I clicked but not yet satisfied.
Following are the photos and some description regarding them.

This photo does not come under star trail category. This click was just to get idea whether the statue was in focus or not. I had kept the shutter open for around 45 seconds with ISO of 800. Since the stars were bright and clear I was able to get the stars as well in the snap. Even though this was just a trial snap it turned out to be a nice one.

 This is the real star trail photo I wanted to click. It is not a single click. I had kept the camera in continuous shoot mode with the release wire locked for around an hour and each click duration of 30 seconds with ISO 800.There were total of around 120 photos. I compiled all the photos together to get the final result (a drawback of normal digital SLR cameras is that if the shutter is kept open for a longer duration with high ISO a lot of noise is generated in the snap which results in a very bad photo). I used free software called Startrails (http://www.startrails.de/), nice and simple software, to get the final result.

One more star trail photo. The technique was the same as the previous photo. It was taken during midnight. The glow at the bottom of the photo is that of the artificial lights at the foot of the fort.
After the third photo, the camera battery drained out and I had to sleep against my wish L.
This was a nice experience and a big step in learning the star trail photography, which I am keen on improving.
Will post something as soon as I get a nice photo to write about. 
Till then keep on clicking and experimenting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment